The Friends of Stour Connect are the providers of a local Meals on Wheels scheme, covering Sturminster Newton and its surrounding area, including Stalbridge. We urgently need more VOLUNTARY DRIVERS (expenses paid) to help us meet increasing need for this service.
The Friends of Stour Connect are just finalising full Charity Registration and are also in need of;
ADMIN PERSON - 1 morning per week
If you can help with any of these roles, or for enquiries/ informal chat contact Andy Watson 01258 472957 or 07849 618522
Introduction to our Community Resources
These are exciting times for Stour Connect and The Friends of Stour Connect. For the first time the Friends of Stour Connect will be a fully Registered Charity, enabling us to concentrate on providing, with the management of Stour Connect, a full range of services to ALL our local community.
Stour Connect consists of the large buildings along Bath Road and its junction with Stour View Close in Sturminster Newton. The change of management of Stour Connect has led to us being able to offer many of our services to the whole of the local community.
Since the management of Stour Connect changed to Tricuro in June 2017 (a Local Government Trading Organisation) much has changed, in what we can offer, and how we can offer our services and facilities.
This leaflet details the different activities that are available to all at Stour Connect, many of which have been funded by the Friends of Stour Connect.
Why not give us a call or pay us a visit and see the wonderful facilities that we can offer the local (North Dorset) community. It may be that you represent a community group. If so, we may even be able to provide you with office or meeting spaces.
OUR SERVICES INCLUDE;
Food and drink
• We host and cook for ALBERTS DINING CLUB – ‘good food, good company, warm atmosphere’, on the 2nd and 4th Thursday each month. Tel 01258 472682
• We also cook for local Lunch Clubs. Call Andy on 01258 472957/ 07849618522 for more information
• MEALS ON WHEELS/ HOT FOOD DELIVERY SERVICE. Food delivered, 1 main and 1 desert delivered to your home by qualified, checked volunteers on Mondays to Thursdays. Call Andy on 01258 472957/ 07849618522 for more information/ menus. This scheme has been running since October 2017. We could also provide buffet services from our fully equipped kitchen, run by qualified staff. This project started with advice and support from Dorset POPP.
• T BAR. Our in-house Coffee/ Tea shop is open on Thursdays (run by students from Yewstock School) and Fridays (run by residents of Ivers in Marnhull)
We run monthly day/ evening social activities for the whole community. These include Disco/ music nights, Film nights, Tea Dances, Sports/ hobbies nights. For more information contact Nigel or Andy on 01258 472957.
Arts and Crafts
• Our MENS SHED is open to both men and ladies aged over 18, and offers separate social and workshop spaces each with their own catering and toilet facilities. We are affiliated to MENS SHEDS (UK) and have received kind donations from AFC Bournemouth and Bradfords Building Supplies. Our Mens Shed is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 3.30pm. Contact Andy on 01258 472957 or 07849618522 for more information.
• Arts Group. This is run by one of the Trustees of the Friends of Stour Connect and takes place on Wednesday afternoon between 1.30pm and 3.30 PM. For more information call Nigel or Steve on 01258 472957
Sporting activities/ Keep fit
We have a large sports hall with changing facilities. We can offer a wide range of indoor activities including – skittles, indoor tennis (with coaching), indoor cricket (with coaching), keep fit, table tennis. We are also investigating the inclusion of sitting volleyball, curling, walking football, badminton, table cricket, for people with mobility issues. If you would like to talk to us about other sports or keep fit activities the contact Andy, Steve or Nigel on 01258 472957.
Stour Connect Assessed Need Services
As well as providing a community resource, Stour Connect continues to provide support and care services for the local area. We provide individualised support packages for those in our community who are elderly, and have memory issues, those with learning disabilities, and those with physical disabilities. Our activities for this service includes – Bingo, sensory activities, baking (supported) splash pool, drama, pamper group, independent living skills, sandwich run, gym, foot massage, green shed, boccia, music/ reminiscence, quizzes, sensory games, book club, expression in colour, dance exercise, films, chill out time.
We host regular Carers Coffee mornings on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. We also offer pamper sessions advice and information for carers, as well as training sessions for carers in First Aid and other topics.
Hosting of events
We also host several other clubs/ associations, as well as being an office base for Age Concern North Dorset and for The Volunteer Centre Dorset.
If you are interested in viewing Stour Connect, please contact Steve, Nigel or Andy on 01258 472957. If you wish to become involved in the Friends of Stour Connect, or to help as a volunteer on the Meals on Wheels scheme, Andy Watson would be pleased to hear from you on 07849618522 or on the above landline number
The Friends of Stour Connect
A Charitable Interest Organisation, Regulated by the Charities Commission
Andy Watson, Chairperson, C/O Tricuro Ltd, Stour Connect, Sturminster Newton, Dorset DT10 1JF
Tel; 01258 472957 Mobile 07849618522 Email email@example.com